Thursday 8 October 2015

IAS Mains- Strategy to become a topper

Hi friends ,

When you prepare for mains ,your target should be to score maximum marks with the optimum preparation. And to score maximum marks ,you should understand which areas to focus .

Mains exam contains:(each of 250 marks)

1 Essay paper
4 General Studies Paper
2 Optional Paper.



At the face of it ,it might look like GS preparation will help you score more marks. Hence,many students start GS preparation first and try to complete it . However ,the syllabus is so vast that they never feel they have completed.


However ,I would suggest you to start and complete your optional paper preparation first. Please look into the marksheets of few 2014 toppers .They have scored as much in 2 optional papers as all the 4 GS papers put together.

Also,dont take the essay paper lightly and just face it on the day of exams .Look how the toppers essay scores have helped them in scoring really well. Practise atleast 5 essays and get them evaluated.

This does not mean you should not focus on GS. I am just asking you to keep the weightage of scoring in mind  ,to use your time judiciously.




So here is the message in brief -
Consolidate your optional preparation first,
Practise essays to score more than the average ,
And keep doing your General Studies side by side .

Good luck !
This blog is a part of a series of blogs on IAS preparation -simplified like never before !

Here is the list of blogs in this series so far -

Here is the list of blogs ,on my experience as an IAS officer:

Bharat Darshan - the dream of every IAS aspirant.
One night at Flood Centre
My experience with a toothache

We are now active on every social media platform .
https://www.quora.com/R-A-Israel-Jebasingh/
https://www.facebook.com/OfficersIASAcademy?ref=hl
officersiasacademy (@officersiasacad) | Twitter

25 comments:

  1. Sir Please provide us how to approach for Public Administration through self study and also about the right resources to be followed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ankith ,
    I shall provide the details in the upcoming blogs .
    Please keep a watch on the blogs .
    All the best !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...Sir...Please provide strategy for Geography.to do.more effectively...bcz...I came to know that...The Competition for Geography is too high.than remaining optionals..so...Every ans would be compare with all other ans...so...to get more score...We have to do differently and effectively na...so...Pls...Sir...waiting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suneel ,
      Competition is always high .However ,if you get two things right,you neednt worry about competition.
      1.Better preparation and revision
      2.Better answer writing

      On preparation,I will write a blog soon.However ,on answer writing you shall check out this blog .You may find it helpful.
      http://officersiasacademy.blogspot.in/2015/10/what-constitutes-good-answer.html
      All the best !

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sir, I am choosing optionals are like political science and psychology.. it is good choosing or not ...
    I need your guidance for preferring optional..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ,my nest blog is on how to choose an optional.Please keep following the blog .

      Delete
  6. sir feeling very low, basics are still not covered, so much in news, so much sites, confusion all around ,please help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ,
      Every aspirant goes through this phase at some point of time .I will say only one thing -
      "Never lose hope .Keep working towards your end goal ."
      Cover your basic subjects first .
      For current affairs ,please follow any good current affairs material .You can also attend the current affairs analysis classes at the academy .
      And as far as the sites on internet is concerned, please refer to this blog -
      http://officersiasacademy.blogspot.in/2015/11/best-magazines-websites-and-channels.html

      Delete
  7. Respected sir,
    I would like to ask you one question with your permission, May I know the reason why you have resigned for the IAS....

    Best Regards,
    SURESH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suresh,
      I resigned because my mom was a cancer patient and I had to be with her, for last few years of her life. At that point of time after resigning, I didn't open Officers IAS Academy. I resigned and joined a company to implement Dr.Abdul Kalam's PURA project so that my stay at my hometown Chennai was ensured. Once the project got over, I decided to open Officers IAS Academy because teaching is the only job I thought I can do confidently. Before I qualified for IAS, I was a teacher for 3 years in a local college in Chennai. That was the main reason for opening Officers IAS Academy. So many students from across India come here to Officers IAS Academy not because an IAS officer is teaching, but because they consider me a good teacher. I always feel there are so many ways to contribute to our nation. A jawan guarding the border does much more service than an IAS is my humble personal opinion. I am a teacher and I am proud of being a
      teacher

      Delete
    2. Awesome sir. Thank you for your valuable guidance which is very much in sync with the needs of an aspirant.

      Delete
  8. Explained very clearly about mains preparation... Thanks a lot sir...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Explained very clearly about mains preparation... Thanks a lot sir...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Respected Sir,
    I am highly feeling great about your opinion regarding service of nation in any way to help the society and people of this country.
    While I read your one of article regarding resignation from IAS it's not a easy to come out from our comfort zone(resignation from IAS) and give a massage to society that live your Dream.
    Highly Inspired by You.
    Thank You so much.

    Your Truly
    Ashish Singh
    IAS Aspiration
    9086072604

    ReplyDelete
  11. Respected Sir,
    I am choosing my optional as chemistry for both papers hence would appreciate if you could tell me where i could get guidance for writing my mains answers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir, I live @Mittanamalli (AF Avadi). Due to my hectic job schedule I cannot join ur institute even on weekend. Sometimes I get only Sunday. Plz guide me how can i get ur valuable support. 2017 is my aim. Pub ad is my optional. Thanks sir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank You So Much Sir, This presentation was really an eye opener for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sir,I'm in class 11.I want to become an IAS.please tell me ..How can I prepare for IAS exams from class 11?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning, Fantastic its looks so astounding. Much obliged to you for sharing this article and keep doing awesome. UPSC book Shop

    ReplyDelete
  17. We’ve got a special offer for you. We have conducted over 1,000 IAS mock interviews and our team has created a unique algorithm to predict your chances of getting selected in the Indian Administrative Service (IAS). Our experts will help you prepare better than ever before with highly personalized training modules that are designed just for you. You can even schedule your mock interview online! It’s never been easier to get started on this path towards success.

    ReplyDelete